Sunday 17 October 2021

Those Who Work, Those Who Pray: Steel is Stronger Than Flesh

 I've had these finished for a while, intending to do a larger post with them. But I haven't updated since June, so let's do them now.

the Mechanicus has many tools

Here we have three new civilians from three separate ranges. More photos below the cut, including of the building.


The squat servitor is from Macrocosm Miniatures, part of their growing range of space dwarves sculpted largely by the famous Inso. He has a brother that will form part of my Squats project when I get back to it, but this one is in my desert setting.

homo sapiens rotundus make ideal servitors due to their robust physiology


Here he is with some fellow lobotomised cyborgs:


Clearly the dwarf retains some basic sentience, being equipped with a sidearm.

Next, we have another little robot, this time from Old School Miniatures's Wasteman range. I bought him basically on a whim, thinking he might fit in.

surely no abominable intelligence lurks in those green lenses




Drok Henkman with some totally sanctioned drones for sale

Third, we have a robed priest from Ramshackle Miniatures. I've had mixed experiences with Ramshackle's sculpts, but the owner is a really good dude and sent me a handful of these priests free with another order. This was a real joy to paint and came out really nicely.

++ nomen unknown + + Mechancicus



Finally, the hut. This was printed by Little Mangs of War's father, who has since offered to print a range of desert buildings for me. Luckily my city has been in lockdown for months, so I don't have to feel guilty about not getting around to them yet. Soon, though!


The structure scales well with 28mm figures. Marines might find it a bit harder to get inside, but marines are supposed to find the hovels of baseline humans a bit small.



The nature of a 3-D print means that there are some weird textures to the model. On the one hand, this adds to the texture of a probably mud-packed rough building; on the other, you can't really tell from three feet away, so who cares.

I'll probably try and add some more details to future huts, but this one works great as-is, with the small posts and old pipe sculpted on. Very keen for more, and thanks again to Little Mangs's dad!

No comments:

Post a Comment