Wednesday 24 June 2020

Those Who Fly

Space. The #grimdark frontier.

two pilots and a navigator walk into a bar...

Thistle has meant that even when I am home and my partner is not, I am not able to get as much work done as I actually want. It's worth it, but a little frustrating. Now that the gnome project is wrapping up, I can concentrate on other projects. Although, having said that, I think I've started... three new ones this week? Don't look at me.





This fellow is a Rogue Trader-era Pilot. I really liked this sculpt - so much that I didn't notice how outlandish his weapon hand and pistol are until I was actually putting paint on the miniature. He's also unusual for having sculpted-on eyebrows, which you don't see often.

Those of you in the #oldhammer community will notice that I stole a lot of the colouring from Mathias, who himself was inspired by Moebius. Moebius keeps coming up in my work on these civilians, and will continue to do so. I really am enjoying using colours that I usually stay away from.




This Navigator dates from the same period. I knew I wanted him to feel decadent, and creepy. It goes with his giant hands and elongated mutant skull. So his skin tones were done the same way I do my Dark Eldar (although I do notice that I'm a lot better now, a subject for another time) - some of my remaining Dheneb Stone, a purple wash, re-upped with Dheneb Stone.

His clothes were similarly weird colours, pale pinks and turquoises. Utterly inappropriate for the desert basing, but an immediate visual cue that this creep belongs in a spaceship and not on any terrestrial surface. It was fun, and I had a great time, even if the sculpt itself is a bit rough in places.




The only Colony 87 miniature in this set, Helena van Gaal is possibly the miniature that made me pull the trigger on getting the whole set. I don't remember. I do remember that I love her punky haircut, her piloting ports, and her old-school-style spacesuit.

She's a beautiful sculpt to paint, and I really need to practice skin tones more - I wish I'd done her better justice. Her hair colour was one I couldn't resist. I considered making her a blonde and letting the cut speak for itself, but I just love painting hair pink. I'm only human.

Space Girl 2, Dan Morton
Used without permission.

I did enjoy the process of looking for ladies in pulpy spacesuits. There are obviously a lot of designs that cross the line into other categories, but many are just fun in a way that you often don't get in modern po-faced speculative fiction.

'My carrot looks like a kraken', reddit user shitaki_taco writes

I am past the halfway point on the civilian project - which is to say I am past the halfway point on the civilian models which I own, and that is not necessarily halfway at all. As the Old World Army Challenge is over soon, I am also moving into new projects... and I have been looking up both root vegetables and early 19thC military uniforms lately. Curious.

5 comments:

  1. Really great trio! Nice to see the navigator in a suitably esoteric outfit. The little orange tips on the C87 pilot's gloves are inspired - I'll have to copy that :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, mate. The purples and pinks were fun to do, but I think I kept a nod to the traditional blue/white combo with his turquoise shoulder pads.

      Have you painted her yet? Be very keen to see what you come up with.

      Delete
  2. The trio look excellent, already said on Insta (poymo82 here!) that I really like the colours on Gelena in particular. Your basing scheme is a good 'un too - must tell us how at some point!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you again! Very kind of you to say.

      Which part of the basing? These guys have some slightly different elements from the rest of the desert-y miniatures to emphasise their spacebound careers.

      Delete
  3. I meant the gritty dirt primarily, not that the rest isn't well done though.

    ReplyDelete