Wednesday 20 May 2020

Those Who Work

The lifeblood of Empire.

♪ ♫ one of these is not like the others ♪

The end of the world has sapped a bit of my motivation, I'm afraid. The fact that I am horrific on my brushes doesn't help, and my usual small detail brush is getting a bit bristly, meaning that it's even more difficult to get any work done.

Also, we got a kitten.

Thistle

Still, I spent the past few days getting started on my Old World Army Challenge Project gnomes and doing these working-class folks as a palate cleanser. (I then ran out of white undercoat, so getting the gnomes done might be a bit of a challenge!)

Three of them are from the Colony 87 range, the same as the majority of my civilians. The lady with all the gear is from Crooked Dice's Paranormal Exterminators range, although I just picked her up cheap in an order from Bad Squiddo a couple years ago just because she looked like fun.

For more photos, we go below the cut...


Jane, lay technician




Janey was fun to paint, with all her weird greeblies on the backpack and a few points of visual interest without being as overwhelming as a lot of the current range of Citadel sculpts from Games Workshop. Most importantly, the fact she was wearing a solid coverall which I knew I wanted to be orange made it easy to break through my lack of motivation: I basecoated the orange, and she was 80% finished already!

Jak Fenwick, courier



Jak Fenwick was also relatively easy. I had a bit of trouble with figuring out what I wanted to do for his fine hat - too bright a colour and the miniature would become messy, too generic a brown and it would just look like a leather hat and I didn't want that. I think I've managed to strike a balance here.

His yellow and orange details give him a bit of a bike messenger air, especially when combined with his cool fingerless gloves, which I'm pretty pleased with. You can see a little mould slippage on his left leg, but it doesn't really bother me. That sentence is just so that you know that I know.

Korl Feldspar, lay technician



Painting miniatures with overalls is so much less stressful. Half the design is already done, and once you do the first colour's basecoat, you're almost finished! Korl Feldspar was really fun to paint. His apron is actually basecoated with Russ Grey, while the gloves were done with a self-mixed Contrast grey (Templar Black & Apothecary White), but after I washed it with brown, it kind of came out the same. Such is life.

Asa Stent, lay technician


Asa Stent was a bit more involved than the others, but by now I was on a roll. My starting point was Will Beck's original sketch:

© Will Beck, 2016

In the original design, Asa looks Black. In the sculpt, her features are possibly slightly more Caucasian, but I wanted to add a few more skin tones to the civilian project, so she was it. I don't know how well the skin came out, as I still don't have a firm system for darker skin tones, but the only way to get better at that sort of thing is to practice, right?

The other colours were comparatively simple. A orange high-vis vest, blue-grey work pants, a hat of similar design to Mr Fenwick's, white protective greaves done the same way as my Heresy-era Death Guard's unpainted ceramite - done. Except her weird tech greebly. Oh, wait, Asslessman called it a battery, so I should totally do it in gold with a black stripe, like some future oversized Everready. Done.

Stripe didn't turn out great - maybe I should have made the end a solid black - but whatever, she's done!

Coming up next: Trying to get white undercoat...

4 comments:

  1. As I said on FB, I like the yellow you've used on the caps and hats (and the arm stripe on Jak for that matter) - the muted tone is perfect. It's great to see these lovely figures being painted up to fill the bustling streets of your tabletop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I bought the yellow a bit by accident, but I'm coming to really enjoy having it on the disorganised chaos pile.

      As for bustling streets, I'm going to have to get started on that...

      Delete
  2. I love the orange and greys, these civvies look excellent. And that's exactly what I want to do with the Janey model! Och I'll have to get it now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were a lot of fun to paint! Thank you.

      I think she's on sale, so you should definitely grab one.

      Delete