Thursday, 30 July 2026

Those Who Work as a Family

All happy families are alike; each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way.
   -
Leo Tolstoy, Anna Karenina

the family that scavenges together stays together

Quick one here. I've been doing other projects while I've fallen silent. I intended to do an army-builder style blog about one but work has been kicking my arse and involving lots of typing at a keyboard - so the idea of typing at home has been very off-putting. But that's mostly behind me and while I've since painted a tank and been sick, I did just do these guys!

A little family of scavengers, part of Crooked Dice's 4th Colony 87 kickstarter, a few years back now. Gave them a uniform, painted their little droids - easy.

dear ole dad

When looking up the kickstarter for the above link, I realised that dad's meant to be pulling down a visor - I just painted it as a black band holding on his ear protectors. Oh, well, that still works.


He was actually the last of the team painted - contra. my usual style, this list is exactly in the opposite order to the paint!

mumsie

A hard-nose lieutenant of a woman, this one. She has a weird dot flaw in the cast next to her nose, but I think that just makes her look tougher. Love that she has basically the same gear as dad, only plus a bandana and cool sunnies.


I did enjoy weathering the hell out of their gear.

teens right

boy

Not much to say about these two. I think the boy looks like a right git, in the tradition of early teen boys throughout the ages. I do like that he's a bit tubby.

lil guy

This was SO fun and easy to paint. He really has turned out like I weathered him deliberately, when most of that is just from rough brushing and the Contrast (Iyanden Yellow if you're curious) that went straight over grey - oh, all these guys were undercoated grey.

big guy

Love this guy. He looks so friendly! And yet with the textured white for his head and the red eyes, he's also real creepy. I added the cog and some other 40K transfers to ensure that the crew still ties into my vague sense of setting - the implication is that he's not at all sapient - assuming the local Mechanicus administrators are compliant...


The orange was rough Wild Rider Red and then sponge-applied Trollslayer Orange. Maybe a layer mixing them in there, I forget. I then weathered hell out of him, which is always extremely fun.

makers' mark

One of the other transfers. I didn't want it to go on the chest like heraldry, but instead give a sense that it's a markers' mark or has some other significance, so it got tucked in here. Helps break up all that orange.

obscure symbol

Down on his leg is one of the warning symbols from the Mechanicus transfer sheets. It actually was broken on the sheet, which I found out when I had already soaked it, but that just meant it blended in nicely to the weathering (and then I did even more to it, yayy). I could weather dorky robots forever. Maybe I should do a Mechanicus project.

Anyway, that's it! I'll hopefully post about some games I've had in the last little while and/or that project I mentioned - it was out of sequence, but it's also almost finished, so I don't feel too bad about breaking up my 'complete things' rhythm. See you all soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment