Saturday 21 January 2023

After Action Report: Terror in the Peaks

    Réfractaires, it is not your duty to die uselessly.
        - Resistance pamphlet

somewhere in the mountains of Occupied France

An old friend of mine and wargaming/role-playing buddy has finally made the pilgrimage down from to visit me, mostly to play in the Too Fat Lardies event at CanCon in a game of Chain of Command. He's even convinced me to be a backup player in case one of the others has to leave early and cannot finish the campaign. Of course, I've never played a game of Chain of Command, although I am interested in the increased historical verisimilitude of it over its main competitors. 

So we decided to head to the local store and bodge together some terrain and play an intro game. Jolt has an incredible selection of terrain, but it's mostly intended for far-future or vaguely fantasy settings, and it also turned out that every single local gamer wanted to test their armies before this weekend's tournament scene at CanCon. But we made do with the above layout. A forked road, a burning farm, some rough cliffs and pine forests, an ancient church. Could be somewhere in Europe, sure.

Al brought me an infantry platoon of horrible fascists, reinforced with an additional Senior Leader (Keptain Köwærd); he brought an adhoc platoon-sized contingents of French rebels, communists, and jumped-up peasants, reinforced with some stolen submachine guns and a backwoodsman calling himself a sniper. Both sides had low morale; it was freezing, there is little food, and nobody wants to die for their fatherland in the arse-end of nowhere.

fascists cower in the gutted church

My favourite thing about Chain of Command is the initial patrol phase. It makes the act of deployment a game of tug-of-war with your opponent and really livens up the otherwise straightforward bit of 'you're on that side, I'm on this side'. Having units come on from the jump-off points that are then scattered (and can be moved!) about the field is the only wargame I've found so far that does a good show of mimicking the fog of war.

In these snowy hills, the fascist regulars didn't know from where the cursed marquis would come...

who dares impede us

I did get lucky in my first few turns, managing to bring on two squads at opposite ends of the field. By getting enough initiative to put the churchgoers on overwatch meant that Al, who had intended to come through the forest opposite, was immediately on the defensive.

"i see zem! i see ze kowartly frenchmen"

Al is a generous opponent. I had initially thought of the open, flat-topped hill next to my roadblock jump-off as a death trap. It was open and flat, with absolutely no cover. Of course, it also provided a huge view of the entire field. Once he pointed that out, I scurried a squad up it and sat them in overwatch up there, much to his frustration.

"okay ve vill leafe ze khurch but only slowly"

He also reminded me that squads come in two elements, and that I could move the manoeuvre element while keeping the machine gun in overwatch. Naturally, he immediately deployed his submachine gun-heavy squad into the forest, preventing me from safely assaulting that jump-off point. Git.

line them up...

..BLAM

First blood to the French resistance with a good old-fashioned duck hunt. Hill's risky.

if you go down in the woods today, you'd better go in disguise...

'if we line up in a row, they will be caught by surprise!'

As I moved one of the riflemen squads down past the hedgerows, another group of partisans emerged, ready to initiate a firefight. Al and I got several rules wrong here - he should have gone tactical and hit the dirt (after being reminded, my hill-squad did that, but he never remembered to). Additionally, I added far too many dice for the squad's machine gun - although my dice consistently rolled below-or-only average, so I don't think it mattered too much.

'merde.'

Nevertheless, the end result for this squad of rebels was most of them being killed and sufficient shock to break them. I also concussed their sergent, reducing the partisan morale. This group broke and ran, freeing my outflanking squad to move towards their jump-off point.


'right, that's it. forward!'

Losing a jump-off point in Chain of Command causes significant morale damage to the hosting force. Seeing the easy route my squad had toward his right-hand point, Al decided that his only hope lay in cracking open my little church fortress.

bullets fly!

Unfortunately, his dice failed him. I shot down several partisans and caused some shock, with almost no losses of my own. My succeeding phases didn't do a lot, but his numbers significantly dwindled.

the keptain comes out but continues to kower

I'd kept my second Senior Leader in reserve, waiting until I needed his shock-removing talents - so right when Al had caused several casualties and enough shock to reduce the church squad's effectiveness, Keptain Köwærd pulled himself out of his foxhole and shouted for the men to hold; reducing the shock in both sections to nothing.

At this point, the store was closing and so we decided to end it there. The Germans had a clear line to take a partisan jump-off point and had caused about thrice the casualties. Al still had a real chance to swing it, if he made a big assault and got a bit lucky - the loss of a squad, NCO, officer and jump-point would probably have shattered my platoon - but that would have been a significant shift from how the game looked on the table.

At any rate, a cracking game against a real gentleman of an opponent. I think I have to dust off that old Polish project now. Let me see, a 1939 Polish infantry platoon has three squads of fourteen men, and I already have...

No comments:

Post a Comment