Thursday 10 December 2020

mortem tyrannis: neuron plague

The Weeping. Mutterflux. The Slithering Scourge. Neuron Plague. Somnambuphage. It is known by many names, but we all know the result:

urgh.

...

Two mobs of 14 plague zombies. A mixture of the recent Poxwalker miniatures from Games Workshop (some of them mildly converted), classic Necromunda Plague Zombies, and a bunch of weird conversions the ideas for which were largely nicked from Wilhelm.

These were all mostly painted with washes and largely pre-date Contrast paints, being done in bits and pieces over the last couple years.

Below the cut for a big pile of gross disease-ridden thingos.




First mob! All modern sculpts from the various Poxwalker kits.


Couple of the modern sculpts. I trim away a lot of the spikes on these lads because it can get a bit much. The smiley fellow on the right also got his head moved around. The ways of the Lord of Plagues are mysterious.

I really love that arm bit, and kind of wish I'd kept it for something else. It was a good early attempt at oily and messed-up metal though.




A simple conversion, but fun. That's his own head he's carrying, by the way, although the bit itself is from the bits box.


More modern poxwalkers. Fellow on the right is severely de-spiked. His goggles are awesome.


Bit of Nurgle's Rot technical paint gets us that vivid 90s green.


The guy with a belt of grenades has a new hat, donated by an Empire soldier.


Not everyone has an interesting caption.


The head on the right is from Empire flagellants, I think. I have a better technique for eyes now, but I'm not repainting the fellow on the left. Look forward, not backward.


I'm really pleased with some of the textures I managed on this guy. I really love his weird, bony growths. These poxwalker kits have loads of cool character.

+ + +

The second mob is a mixture of weird conversions and classic Necromunda Plague Zombies in metal.


Necromunda Plague Zombie on the left. The chap on the right is from the Hobbit goblins kit. They're awful goblins and I don't want to talk about those movies - but they're fantastic zombies/ghouls/&c.


On the left we see another Hobbit goblin with his head replaced with a Space Marine backpack vent. I 100% stole this idea from revimakk who did it first and way better. It took me ages to get around to trying it after I saw that post. Afterwards, I wished that I had zero plague zombies so that I had a reason to do all 28 again except like this.

Follow that link. You will not regret it.


On the left is a fellow kitbashed from Warhammer zombies, a Poxwalker head, a Skaven torso and the tentacles from a Tyranid spore. He's a lot of fun, but hard to photograph!


His mate here is another Necromunda Plague Zombie.


I love this Plague Zombie. He looks like a rabble rouser. His friend here is another grotesque Hobbit goblin with a Skaven's tail for a tentacle-arm.


Morley very clearly sculpted a couple of base bodies and then modified them for this range, but that just gives you a chance to try out different techniques on similar miniatures.


The last of my Necromunda Plague Zombies. I think I've actually got the whole range, or close to it. On the right here we see another Hobbit goblin, this time with Tyranid spore mine bit for a... body?


In the above photo of the mob, this guy comes off as some kind of nightmarish herdsman, chivvying along his grotesque flock. He's a Gellerpox Mutant from the Gellerpox Infected kill team guys, which all look like fun sculpts but sadly have almost no gameplay value. I would like the weird daemon-things, now that I think of it...


Oh, yeah, and I replaced his original head (which was cool! don't get me wrong!) with some weird faceless techno-bit from the bits box. Poor little servitor.


The final piece is another Hobbit goblin. This one got an extra arm and an extra vent-head. Truly blessed by some lovely deity-prince among the warpstorms.

If you join the Cult, you too could become so blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment